THE MARKETING POWER OF TSHIRTS!
Hey! You’re here! Did you know that in the 1960s, printed T-shirts gained popularity for self-expression as well for advertisements, protests, and souvenirs. But actually, printed T-shirts were seldom worn when the Wizard of Oz t-shirt which is also the highly sought-after collectible tee was made to promote the 1939 film The Wizard of OZ .
And then in 1942 the Air Corps Gunnery School T-shirt appeared on the cover of Life magazine.
It was, I believe, the very first times T-shirts were used as an advertising tool since I couldn’t find something that would prove otherwise. If you know of another player, please do comment below because that’ll be awesome.
TSHIRT MARKETING IN THE PHILIPPINES: FROM BORING TO GRAPHIC
Let’s not miss the opportunity to take advantage of Filipino’s flair for fashion. T-shirts being the most worn irregardless of season, can be second-in-line to “word-of-mouth”. Hence, we would like to revive the use of good old shirts as a marketing tool. It is still being commonly used as corporate giveaway anyways so why not spruce up the tees to fully serve its purpose: get worn.
To be honest, not all t-shirt giveaways are wearable. I dare not mention which kinds of business creates the most boring or ugliest t-shirt giveaways but they seem to be stuck on the same format every year, for the rest of their company’s life.
WHY MOST T-SHIRT GIVEAWAYS SUCK? IT’S NOT THE COST, REALLY
Yes, It’s certainly not the cost. Why we have a client who pays a little bit extra to have their creative logo on the chest part and not on the pocket part where people would most likely glance at your armpits next. You are spending for them and so wouldn’t it be great if they could actually have a ROI? Wouldn’t it be great if the shirts are actually frequently worn, be bragged about or catches attention to itself?
SO IF IT’S NOT THE COST, THEN WHY MOST BUSINESS HAS NOT THOUGHT OF MAXIMIZING THEPOWER OF T-SHIRT MARKETING?
- Most of us never thought to analyze the purpose and result of giving away shirts for marketing. The reach may also be calculated and maximized, campaigns may also be built around them, etc etc
- Nobody went out of the box with them; not the printer’s in-house graphic artist, not anyone in the company itself.
- Businesses are becoming too busy that time of the year so shirt giveaways became an obligatory additional task.
- It has become the norm to have the shirts printed with that same ugly layout.
- We all can be quite afraid to try something new.
- We all assume MORE is pricey, but that’s not always the case. If you have an epic design you may not even have to give them away 100% free. (wink)
YOUR NEXT T-SHIRT GIVEAWAY COULD BE THE ONE THING MISSING IN YOUR MARKETING THAT’LL EXPLODE YOUR BRAND.
We are not calling it T-shirt giveaways, ever. For us, it’s Tshirt Marketing, and like any other forms of Marketing we will build it like a campaign so the former “uncreative” yearly initiative becomes fun, engaging and wide-reaching.
INTRIGUED? LET’S TALK!